background

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jeff and Emily's Engagement


 

When Jeff texted me to tell me that he was planning to propose to Emily in the near future, I was ecstatic!  When I realized I was working that weekend, I wanted to die that I wouldn't be there for the surprise and excitement.  I started asking around at work if someone could switch me days, and luckily, a great nurse was willing!

Since I was only going to be in town for 36 hours, I had to be very nonchalant to Emily about the quick trip.  I used Trevor's drill weekend as an excuse to fly home and then drive back to Lubbock with him the following day. 

My parents were in Chicago for a weekend trip, so Emily picked me up from the airport at 9 am Sunday morning, and we headed to Starbucks to kill time before church at 11:15.  What happens at coffee shops?  You have great, meaningful conversations about what's on your heart.  Well what else is on Emily's heart than getting engaged soon?!?  That is all she talked about.  I nodded my head, told her "just be patient, it will happen in perfect timing", without a single smirk or grin ever crossing my face.  Hardest thing ever.

Jeff lives in Nashville, and had flown to Austin for the weekend, but Emily had no idea he was home.  He planned to surprise her at Cheesecake Factory that night, so my parents played the "we are starving and our plane is late so let's meet at Cheesecake Factory at 5:30."  It was perfect!  Emily didn't think a thing about it. After church, Emily talked to Jeff a few times on the phone and each time she hung up she would say, "He's lying to me!"  She had picked up on the beep of "his" car when he was "running errands" and she knew that was not the beep his car made.  What a sneak!  He had also lied about his fall break being the weekend after, and Emily figured that one out, too.

5 o'clock rolled around and Emily and I left our parents house in Georgetown to make it on time.  I somehow got Emily to freshen up her makeup, and even put on some eyeliner, which she doesn't normally wear.  I wanted to throw up the entire drive.  Emily was driving like a maniac down I-35 and I was so nervous! We made it, parked in the parking garage, and made our way to the entrance of the restaurant.  I made sure Emily was in front of me, and she opened the door, and Jeff was standing there with a bouquet of roses.  Emily froze, and later I found out that she said, "I hate you!" Haha! They had a date there alone, and we met Jeff's parents for dinner at another restaurant.
Celebrating at Monument Cafe in Georgetown for breakfast the next morning

Jeff took Emily to the capitol after dinner, and brought her to a bench with rose petals all around it.  They talked for a few minutes, and Jeff finally got down on one knee and asked Emily to be his wife!  So sweet!  He even hired a photographer, Jessica Scott, who will also be shooting their wedding day.  You can read her blog post about the proposal here:
 http://www.jessicachristinephotography.com/blog/2012/10/16/jeffemily-the-proposal/

The soon to be Newman's are planning a June 15, 2013 wedding! We love you Jeff, welcome to the family!

1 comment:

  1. You should have mentioned that I thought it wasn't happening once we were "meeting mom and dad for dinner." I was still surprised!

    ReplyDelete